DanG

There is no belt. The tire rides on the pulley.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Ignoramus14511" wrote in
message ...
On Sat, 21 May 2005 06:16:55 GMT, Leo Lichtman
wrote:
yhgdc
"Ignoramus32374" wrote: (clip) can you explain a little bit
more in detail?
(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sure. You have a horizontal shaft coming out of the gearmotor,
turning 60
RPM. I visualize the tire hanging vertically from this shaft,
with rocks
inside, at the bottom. To get the RPM you want, you have a
couple of V-belt
pulleys on the shaft, turning at 60 RPM. Lets say you want the
tire to turn
at 20 RPM, and the tire fits a 15" rim. If the v-belt pulleys
are 5"
diameter, you will have a 3-to-1 reduction to give you 20 RPM.
The
smallelopr you make the pulleys, the slower the tire will turn.
65 The
weight of the tire and rocks will create the contact pressure
for the
pulleys to drive the tire beads.

If I have managed to make this too confusing, feel free to ask
more
questions.

Leo, I like this idea. The pulleys will have to be big,
otherwise the
belt will slip. I will think about it.