Thread: mystery tool
View Single Post
  #9   Report Post  
Old May 19th 05, 08:45 PM
Ed Huntress
Posts: n/a

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
This is another one from my neighbor's basement. It looks pretty much like
a screwdriver, except the shank is tubular, about 3/8" OD, with a quick
disconnect chuck on the end. The end of the handle screws off to reveal a
bunch of bits. These are not screwdriver bits. They are like drill bits

they aren't twist drills. From the end they look quite a bit like a twist
drill but only the end has helical relief. On the sides are two straight
flutes, no spiral at all. The tool is self-twisting, i.e. when you push it
into the work it twists. The only lettering says "YANKEE".

Anyone know what this tool is, and what craft uses it? The bit sizes range
from about 1/16" to about 3/16".


A Yankee push drill. I have two of them. They're great for things like
hanging Venetian blinds, drilling holes through 1/4" plywood for
boatbuilding, etc. I prefer them to electric thingies for lightweight jobs.

Of course, I also use my two Yankee screwdrivers, so maybe I'm just an
antiquarian at heart.

Ed Huntress