Ned Simmons

In article IP4je.229686$cg1.154270@bgtnsc04-
news.ops.worldnet.att.net,
says...

"Grant Erwin" wrote: (clip) Anyone know what this tool is, and what craft
uses it? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yep. The answer is right on it. It's a Yankee screwdriver. If the toolset
in the handle were complete, it would include a couple of screwdriver bits,
along with the drill bits. It supposedly would be used by people in the
wood crafts, like carpenters and cabinet makers. I have seen them in
collections, tool sales and flea markets, but I have never known of one
actually being used. As a screwdriver it's not too good, because the bit
tends to slip out of the slot as it spins, and when it does, the rest of the
stroke drives it into the wood.

What Grant has is a Yankee push drill - the Yankee
screwdriver is a different tool. I have one of the larger
screwdrivers and use it quite a lot. As for slipping out of
the the screw head, it is more practical for use with
Philips head screws than slotted heads. Yankee is a Stanley
brand name.

http://www.epinions.com/Stanley_Yank...Woodworking_Pu
sh_Drill_Shop_Tools

http://www.garrettwade.com/jump.jsp?