Default Water not working in Kitchen

Okay here's my problem. The kitchen sink faucet was leaking, so I was
going to install a new one. I shut off the water valves under the sink
(or so I thought). I twisted the hot and cold water handles to make
sure I'd properly cut off the water supply to both. No water came out.
So I started unscrewing the faucet handles, and then water started
running out of the faucet for about 3-5 seconds and then stopped. I
turned the valves back on to make sure my water still worked, and no
water came out of the faucet. Not only that, but my dishwasher doesn't
work now either. The motor runs, but no water. The water still works
everywhere else in my apartment, it's just the sink and dishwasher that
don't. Can anyone help?