DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Errol Groff wrote:
On 16 May 2005 21:40:41 GMT, (Chuck
Sherwood) wrote:

OK, I got a vacuum pump and I found a 1/2 gallon bell jaw at Fisher
for $42. I didn't see a base so I am wondering about making one.

I figure an aluminum plate would work fine. How thick of a plate
do I need for a 1/2 gallon bell jar? Is 3/8 enough or do I need
to go to 1/2 ?

[ ... ]

If the 3/8 plate sucks up into the bell jar.....go to 1/2"

Be *sure* to put that bell jar in a steel wire cage to catch the
particles if the base deforms and induces failure in the bell jar.

I should think the .375 would do the job.

IIRC, the vacuum system that I used at work some years ago had a
base of about 1" thick steel. The bell jar was about a 12" ID, IIRC.
Yours sounds significantly smaller, but I think that I would avoid
aluminum, and go for steel. And in *any* case, I would require the
steel wire cage around the bell jar for safety.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |