Jeff Wisnia

rich brenz wrote:
I have some small pieces of aluminum I wish to join, and have Al solder
and flux. The flux has no directions but does say to apply to parts and
do not overheat. Should the flux be wiped off before attempting to
solder? When I try to leave the flux in place, it turns dark brown,
smokes a lot, and seems to prevent the solder from adhering? Any useful
suggestions?(Other than "try brazing" or "get a welder"...)

Rich

It also helps to use a stainless steel wire brush and scrub the aluminum
surface you are attempting to wet THROUGH a puddle of molten solder. The
solder shields the freshly brushed surfaces from air and prevents new
oxides from forming.

Years ago I used to astound doubting Thomases by getting regular 60-40
electrical solder to wet and bond to aluminum using that trick.

I was tought by a very smart guy who occassionally shares his wisdom on
this newsgroup that the same trick helps to get "maximum bonding" of
epoxy to metal. Smear the epoxy on the degreased metal and then wire
brush right through it.

Makes sense to me...

Jeff

--