Stephen Fasham

Default lime plastering - expected costs vs gypsum

(Anna Kettle) wrote in message ...

You can use hydrated lime to make lime putty (put it in a tub of water
overnight to soak) but who would bother these days when a ready
prepared tub of lime putty is available ex stock from Jewsons. In the
old days ie 5 years ago, lime putty was much harder to get hold of and
hydrated lime was sometimes the only easy source.

Quicklime is the previous stage in the manufacturing process so there
is no need to bother about that unless you are a keen home lime
producer (and there are a surprisingly large number of them)

The Building Conservation Directory as recommended above is a good but
expensive source of lime plasterers. It costs an arm and a leg to
advertise there so your average lime plasterer (like me) won't be able
to justify it. I suggest you speak to the conservartion officer of
your local council who will give you a list of local names

Anna

Thanks for the info Anna, I will ask the conservation officer next
time I speak to him. Just for comparison what would your daily rate
be? If you prefer not to post it generally please e-mail me (email
exactly as posted).

Fash