Al Bundy

You might think about just working from the outside as repairs must be
made there anyway. If you decide to go look from the inside, those
things the inspector told you to walk on are joists, not rafters. I
don't advise walking on them directly as people do slip and end up
putting a foot through the ceiling drywall and sometimes injuring
themselves. If there are no floor boards up there I bring some wood to
bridge across a couple joists and often crawl around moving one board
in front of another to get to where I need. Bring a flashlight and any
other supplies you think you will need.