andrewpreece

Default lime plastering - expected costs vs gypsum

"Peter Taylor" wrote in message
"Andy" wrote in message
Take a look at
http://www.buildingconservation.com

most will think that you just want some builders lime (hydrated lime)

added to
ordinay gypsum stuff - this is not what you want.

Maybe I'm wrong, but can't you use Hydrated Lime to make the lime putty?

It
would work out a lot cheaper probably. I seem to remember at college

years ago
learning about slaking pits and lime putty mixers

Peter

That's what I've been using to make lime putty/mortar: hydrated
non-hydraulic lime. As I understand it in the old days limestone would be
roasted to get quicklime ( CaO) then doused with water to get slaked lime
( CaOH? ). I'm pretty sure slaked lime is the same as hydrated lime, so
you don't have to contend with dealing with quicklime, which is caustic
stuff.

Andy