Pete C.

Gunner wrote:

On Mon, 02 May 2005 00:11:11 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:

I'm obviously not writing clearly. I need to move machines INSIDE my
shop, under an 8 foot ceiling. The heavy ones are a Bridgeport mill and
a KO Lee surface grinder. I want to clone an engine hoist but with a
design modified to be more suitable to my application. For example, it
needn't be light weight to move from one site to another easily.

I bookmarked Ron Thompson's A-frame idea years ago. It's pretty simple,
which often means it makes a lot of sense. But I want to stick with
hydraulics especially since I invested in a nice air over hydraulic 8 ton
long throw cylinder so now to use my hoist I just hook up shop air and
push a button.

Grant

oooops.

Thats going to be a good trick with an 8' ceiling. I think you would
be better off with dollys. Shrug. Ill cogitate on this a bit.

Gunner

Gunner wrote:
On Sun, 01 May 2005 22:34:24 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Grant Erwin writes:

The answer is to fabricate one, which I can certainly do. I'm
wondering if other guys have "been there done that" and can give me any
pointers.

I've bookmarked this for a while:

http://www.plansandprojects.com/portable.htm

The problem with this type of thing is that any error in design or
execution is a potential disaster, assuming you use it at the capacities
you're describing.

The problem is one of engineering, so I would be leery of any design that
wasn't "engineered" in the strictest sense of carefully calculated and
tested, not just guessed at or overbuilt.

Around here, most of the serious motorheads have a shop crane..nothing
more than a pair of A legs with a 10' piece of 4" pipe across them.
The fancy ones use a pair of stubs welded as sockets below the 4" pipe
so you can push it over and break it down. Few do though.

Mine is an H frame made of 3" oilfield pipe, , but with A legs,
carrying a piece of 8" I beam 10 foot long. Its 12 ft tall. Socketed
so I can break it down if I wanted to. I actually put the I beam up
with my Carolina 2 ton engine hoist and a short extention added to the
already extended boom.

I needed the height to remove tall machines from my trailer and have
overhead room to lift with the 2 ton Yale electric hoist on I beam
trolly car.

Some of the guys here make theirs in the A frame style, and then put
dollys under them using small boat tires. Move to where you want, jack
it up a couple inches, remove the dolly and set it down, repeat on the
other side. Half the time, they never remove the tires, just block em
so they dont roll.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

How about doing the rolling gantry style, but using the adjustable
height design and using the hydraulics to telescope both sides of the
gantry. That way you don't need to use any of the headroom to
accommodate a chain hoist. Just lower the gantry beam to an inch above
the item, chain with as many points as needed and then telescope the
whole thing up.

The air-hydraulic jacks would sync you on the up stroke, but down would
be a bit tricky. Probably work best with two basic cylinders and a
separate manual or air-over pump so you have a single lowering valve.
You could probably dig a cable/chain leveling mechanism if needed.

Pete C.