Robin Prater

Default Silicone Grease Not Found. Vaseline as an Alternative?

Ralph
Silicone grease is made by Ambersil Silicones. The type 6026 is used for
electrical work and available from RS components £2.35 a tube.
Robin
"Ralph Corderoy" wrote in message
Hi,

I want to replace the `grease' I've cleaned off the thread of the inside
of a tap on which the washer moves up and down as the tap is turned.
Googleling this NG suggests silicone grease is the thing to use, but I
can't find any locally. B+Q and Homebase don't stock it. Neither does
Plumb Centre, which surprised me. They suggested a local ironmongers
that didn't have it either but thought Vaseline would be a suitable
substitute.

Anyone know of a ready source of silicone grease? Is Vaseline an OK
substitute? I don't want to use something that will degrade the other
materials over time.

This all came about because the bath taps were getting quite stiff to
turn. After disassembling and thorough cleaning they're much better,
but that's without replacing the grease that was there. I now find that
when the metal body gets very hot the tap drips unless turned off very
hard. If I leave it dripping it slowly stops by itself over an hour as
the tap cools down. Given the only difference before and after is my
not replacing the grease I want to do that before investigating further.

Cheers,

Ralph.