Frank Watson

Default Silicone Grease Not Found. Vaseline as an Alternative?

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 13:02:14 GMT, (Ralph
Corderoy) wrote:

Hi,

I want to replace the `grease' I've cleaned off the thread of the inside
of a tap on which the washer moves up and down as the tap is turned.
Googleling this NG suggests silicone grease is the thing to use, but I
can't find any locally. B+Q and Homebase don't stock it. Neither does
Plumb Centre, which surprised me. They suggested a local ironmongers
that didn't have it either but thought Vaseline would be a suitable
substitute.

Anyone know of a ready source of silicone grease? Is Vaseline an OK
substitute?

Vaseline is petroleum based, i.e., it is mineral grease which means it
will tend to make rubber perish. I guess that, in the days of rubber
tap washers, you'd use silicone greas to avoid getting a perished tap
washer. Nowadays most tap washers are made of neoprene, I believe. I
don't know if neoprene degrades when in contact with mineral grease,
does anyone know?

Frank