Ace

Looking on page 493 of Machinery Handbook, 25th edition under "oil quenching
baths".
Various types of oils are used...... The specific heat of the oil regulates
the hardness and
toughness of the quenched steel.....

Doesn't sound like motor oil nor high sulphur based oil is the real answer.
Then again,
how critical is hardness and toughness to the overall sucess of your
punches and buttons?

I "assume" it's not real critical, so the next aspect is the safety of the
oil being using.

You want to use a oil that won't catch fire, and give you the approximate
hardness &
toughness you desire.

When it's all over and done, the best course of action might be to have it
done by a
commercial heat treating facility. (I worked at a small stamping plant
where the owner's
son experimentend with heat treating his own die parts. ONCE, resulting in
cracks, etc.)

Good luck!

"Bandit" wrote in message
oups.com...
HI guys,
I have been lurking around here for awhile reading interesting posts
and gaining knowledge.

My question is, what is the "proper" type of oil for heat treating and
hardening small punches and buttons and so on. I have had a machinest
at work tell me "you want to use a high sulfur based oil".(- All I
know is when I used a high sulfur based oil to harden with it STUNK
like you know what!?) So, I guess what I'm asking is, what type of oil
is the correct oil? Can motor oil be used? Thanks, Tracy