George

"Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
I think you're comparing apples to oranges, at best. Both woods can be
fine for a project, but they're completely different. Either will
warp, depending on the cut of the wood, knots etc... Both will cup &
twist, too. I'd have to say that I usually have better luck with
Yellow Pine, it's inherently more stable, being denser, with a longer
grain & is a lot stronger than White, so I'd use the dimensions that
you'll be cutting it to for making a decision. It can split easier
than the White, though. You're back to how the wood is cut & how
you're going to join it & at what dimensions.

"Luck" would seem to be the operative word. Eastern white pine, according
to the Forest Products Labs has less radial, and far less tangential
movement that either reds or yellows. That supposedly translates into
"stability." Probably accounts for the popularity of white pine as a
secondary wood.