Alan Simpson

Default egg/sulphur smells from washing machine

hi,

I did a search and found some postings about this on this newsgroup
before, including the one copied below.

The sulphur/eggy smell mentioned there is exactly the smell that we
get.

Interestingly, it only seems to happen during the rinse/draining
cycles when we run the washing machine. Also, it does not happen at
any other time when using that same drain (like most washing machines
in the kitchen that I have seen, it is connected to the kitchen sink
drain).

Unfortunately, the smell has been getting worse and worse over the
past few weeks.

However, in the case of this posting there was no follow-up to suggest
how to deal with this problem, if it is a problem with the rubber in
the hoses.

(1) Is there an easy way to confirm that this is, in fact, caused by
the rubber hoses as proposed below?

(2) If we can confirm this, then what action should we take?

thanks,

Alan

From: VisionSet )
Subject: Bad drain smell

View this article only
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 2001-08-12 07:32:19 PST

One cause with such appliances is sulphur gasses building up in the
rubber
hoses (which actually comes out of the rubber).
When the appliance is used the gasses are flushed out.

--
Mike Whittaker
www.HotPud.com

"jobern" wrote in message
Only when I use my washing machine or dishwasher I get a bad smell that
comes form the drains. The flat is three years old. The appliances came
already installed with the fitted kitchen.

Can anyone give me some hints to why this is happening before I call in the
plumber?

Many Thanks.

Jo