Julie P.

"Chip C" wrote in message
oups.com...
Steve B. wrote:
1) Do window A/C units, when set on the fan only setting, blow

fresh air
in from the outside, like a regular box window fan, or recirculate

air from
the inside?

The air comes from the inside. It is pulled through the filter then
the evaporator and blown out the vents above. Some units have a
selector you can turn that will open a small door to let fresh air in
to the stream or to blow stale air out but this would only be a
fraction of the air.

2) Same question, but with the A/C turned on. Does the air come

from the
outside or inside?

It works the same way. Doesn't matter if the compressor is running

or
stoped.

Steve B.

I think few new units have fresh-air intakes, in the name of
efficiency, assuming outside air is hotter than inside air so would
take more energy to cool. A bit of a shame since often the A/C is
blocking the only window that you could open for a breeze on a nice
day.

I know! When it is not hot enough to run the AC, but you still would like
fresh cool air blown inside, a window A/C unit is basically useless! And I'm
not going to uninstall it and replace it with a box window fan everytime I
just want fan only!