Fred

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 22:33:06 GMT, "al"
wrote:

In locations where one may not want to use a hot torch (like 5cm from the
main gas pipe!), which is considered the more reliable joining method?

What
are the pro's/con's of each? I've used compression, but never push-fit.

Talking about 15mm copper piping for hot water (rads) if that makes any
difference.

Push fit fittings work perfectly well provided that you follow
manufacturer instructions. This means that tube ends must be square
and clean. If you are using plastic pipe, use the proper cutting
tool. If you are using copper, then a tubing cutter. On no account
use a hacksaw.

If you feel more comfortable with compression, then fine, but both are
perfectly suitable.

I've done quite a lot of plumbing in my time but not in the last few years.
Am I correct in saying the push-fit variety have a rubber seal in them.
What's the life expectancy of this seal, just that a compression fitting
with a brass olive sounds a far more permanent solution.