ameijers

"Ed" wrote in message
The ground in my front yard has sunk during years. The house was built
around 20 years ago and I am the only owner. The area is a straight line
that is about 8-10 feet long. The width at the widest part is about 3-4

feet
and the deepest part is probably about one foot deep. It runs parallel to
street and about 15 feet away from sidewalk. There are also 3 areas in the
backyard. All areas in the backyard are smaller than the one in front.

About 10 years ago, the street next to the curb sank. I called the city

and
they pave over it and it did not sink again.

From your description, especially about the sunken spot in street, this
sounds like utility trenches that were not properly compacted during
backfill, or simply settled. I'd call whatever companies around there may
have buried lines (gas, sewer, water, electric, phone) , and request they
have someone stop by and mark the lines. This is free most areas- just tell
them you want to do some landscaping, and don't wanna damage their stuff. If
the paint marks line up with the sinkholes, you have your answer. If they
don't, post back, and we'll think of some other plausible explanation.

In any case, unless yard is bubbling-wet or you smell rotten eggs, unlikely
to be anything dangerous or urgent, and dirt and a little grass seed is
probably all that is needed.

aem sends....