Patriarch

JJM wrote in news:uplb51haglulptkqg3j41otuv65i5136r2
@4ax.com:

Well. after 17 years, it has come time to replace the brick moulding
and the rest of the trim around the front door and garage. I was in
the Depot and saw what they were selling as solid 3/4" "vinyl" to be
used in place of pine for the exterior. Expensive at about $18 for a
10' length that is 8" wide but if I never have to worry about rot,
etc. perhaps it may be worth it.

As expected, no one there could answer my questions so here goes...

I need to paint it to match the house. Does it need to be primed or
just put on the finish coat?

Fasten with finish nails or construction adhesive?

Thanks in advance.

You ought to be able to get instructions from the manufacturer's web
site.

While you are at it, you might want to check with a builders' supply
yard in the area, for their recommendation on a competing product. They
_may_ have more information/selection for you.

There was a recent review of such materials in Fine Homebuilding, which
included suitability, fastening and finishing recommendations on 7 or 8
products.

And "This Old House" used similar materials on their latest project.
Their website has resource guides to the products they used.

Good luck. Save the wood for the places it's most appropriate.

Patriarch