In article , MrC
writes
Folks

My neighbour is getting quotes for surfacing his driveway. He's
getting contractors offering him either a bitumen surface or an
asphalt one for about 50% extra cost (may have that the wrong way
round).

He's asked me and I've no idea what the difference between the two is
and I've no idea. From some brief searches it seems a bit confusing
i.e. bitumen is used to make asphalt?

Can anyone advise on the difference and would you recommend it? The
two prices are about £1,500 vs £2,300 or thereabouts?

thanks

tommy

Bitumen is a component used in the manufacture of asphalt, its normally
a liquid that is mixed with fillers and aggregate to produce a finished
material. By a bitumen surface they are probably referring to a spray
system where the bitumen is applied to the surface either with an
aggregate in it or the aggregate can be sprinkled on whilst the bitumen
is still wet, if you use pea shingle you get a nice gravel effect drive
that stays in one place. By an asphalt surface you are looking at the
traditional finish that we all love (or hate). Something to consider is
the longevity of the spray applied system, it wont last as long as the
asphalt, how long this is will depend on the amount of traffic
--
David