Thanks for the detailed reply. In "googling around" I ran across a
duraflo reseller that seems to be going after the single family market:

"I don't think you should repipe at all. My company does pipe
restoration. We will take your existing system, dry it clean all the
encrustation out then clean it.We then coat the pipe with NSF,
IAPMO,AND UPC approved EPOXY. There is no demo of walls and or
ceilings. THat means your home will not be torn apart for the repipe.
We can generally complete a typical 2-3 bath house in two days. To get
more information go to our web site www.aceduraflo.com"

I wouldn't think there would be a big cost of scale problem with the
re-lining process, unless the epoxy is expensive to mix for just a
single unit.

My reading of PEX is mixed; positive article at

http://tinyurl.com/5xvwb

Horror story at:

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?t=9106

The latter points to the need of plumber experience with the product in
your area, and plumber competence.

But another concern I have with the pipe-reline is that Tampa is a
major lightening area. Houses get hit, and it's rumored to be one
accelerator of copper failure. Wonder if the epoxy would separate from
the copper with a lightening strike. Don't laugh, I've taken a direct
hit once, and who knows how many voltage raising nearby strikes.

Although I'm a confirmed DIY'er, this is one area I'd rather pay for a
professional job and get a long term warranty (if I could find that in
Tampa).