Mary Fisher

wrote in message
oups.com...

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Its a sign thet the bricks are wet and porous: Salts leach out of the

cement and migrate by osmosis to the surface of the brickwork

These (the ones on ebay) are allegedly engineering bricks and haven't
been layed but in any case I doubt the latter part is true. AIUI the
salt is in the bricks themselves.

It is but I'm surprised it's on engineering bricks.

Mind you, I'm not an expert on bricks except that as a child we loved
licking off the efflorescence from bricks on the lavatory yard wall. There
was no dpc and a garden behind so the white stuff wasn't just at a low level
and our little tongues could reach it easily.

I occasionally still have a taste when I see it and don't have to bend down
(ouch!).

Mary