Thanks for the tip on PEX - something else to read up about. I've got
a two story condo, so even flexible pipe would get messy.

Two companies advertise the relining for residential use. I think they
remove the valves at every fixture and attach their "process hardware"
to heat, then scrub clean, then line with epoxy. It looks like a huge
octopus that they run throughout your place to hookup to all the
fixtures. I also wonder how they can ensure they coat all of the
existing pipe, but it sure is an enticing process after you seen the
result of a re-pipe on a two story place. My neighbor's repipe cost 4k
(not including the drywall repair, and leaving out the outside faucet
on the back of his unit that he's willing to leave dry). I found out
that 1.7k was sales commission. I think the reline cost is directly
related to the number of fixtures involved - at least that's the look
from one website that asks for all that info for a price estimate.