keith_765

"mike ring" wrote in message
. 1.4...
wrote in news:1111777247.841760.134400
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

I want to fix (bodge) a fence post aand I've got some ready mixed

mortar
rhat must be a year or two old.

It looks perfectly good, but I understand that cement has a short

shelf
life, even if kept warm amd dry; however mine looks perfect.

should be ok. Normally it sets into a rock when its had it.

NT

That's what I thought, but considering the age I tried fixing a bit of
pointing in my paving, and it doesn't seem to be going off.

I've checked the bag, and can't find a date on it, but 6 months is bandied
about as a life.

But if *that's* so, how can I be sure I'm buying fresh if there's no date?

If there isnt a date on the bag, you cant tell how old it is. When it
arrives on site and fresh, its hot, now dont laugh, because I can asure you
its that hot even in the bag you cant touch it for much more than 5
seconds.

When concrete is poured on site. its recond to give it a day for every 1" or
25mm. to cure before stripping the shuttering off.

And how long *should* it take to set hard - ish?

I can't bear to have it go wrong in front of the guy next door!

TIA

mike