RBM

No reason at all. The fans, especially an older one are excellent in all
other respects. $45 sounds fine as long as they don't charge you an extra
hundred for shipping and insurance
"jim evans" wrote in message
Thanks for your reply.

In this case it's in a bedroom with no fireplace. I just looked at
their website and they say they'll fix a flywheel for $45. Seems like
it's probably worth that much to keep the fan. Don't these fans cost
about $300-$400? It has run night and day for about 9 months of the
year for 25 years. Any reason to think it won't go another 25 after
the flywheel repair?

jim

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 16:46:14 -0500, "RBM" rmottola1(remove
wrote:

While I still believe Casablanca fans are the best you can buy, they've
always had one major flaw, The flywheel, which is what you screw the
blades
onto is attached to the motor,I suppose by some sort of vulcanizing
process,
and occasionally they simply separate. In my experience,(having installed
hundreds of these) it happens most often when the fan is hung in a room
with
an active fireplace, leaving me to believe that dry heat affects them.
Anyway, if this is what is happening, its not something you can fix and
probably isn't worth sending the fan to Casablanca. Incidentally, there
was
a time when Casablanca service was excellent, then Hunter fan bought the
company.
"jim evans" wrote in message
. ..

I have three 20+ year old Casablanca fans. One makes a
knocking/thumping noise at the same point in each revolution - go
around, thump . . . around, thump . . . around, thump.

It's been doing this off and on for 5 years. Recently it has become
louder and persistent. The Casablanca Fan Company are a customer
unfriendly bunch. I call them to ask what causes this and how I can
fix it. They offer to locate a "certified" Casablanca repair service
near me.

[Off topic rant: The speed control circuit board in another failed.
This is two customer unfriendly outfits in a row. About a month ago I
called InSinkErator about my garbage disposer and got the same 'Get
lost. We're only interested if we can get more money out of you'
reply. Given the ridiculously high price and low reliability of their
fans combined with their customer non-support attitude, they've
guaranteed I'll never buy another Casablanca fan.]

A few years ago an acquaintance said it has something to do with the
flywheel needing to be repositioned, or something like that. Anybody
know how I can fix this?

jim
___
Have a home upkeep question? Try my help page.
It's sort of an alt.home.repair FAQ.
http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair

jim