scobiewan

Hi Guys,

Thank you all very much for taking the time to comment
on my posting. I'm now convinced that we should go with
something closer to 7" unit rise. There's no reason not to
as we have the space to accomodate the longer opening.

Thanks also for commenting on the need for a landing. I
really didn't want to add one and now I don't think we will.

Wayne:
Thanks for the modern codes. My books were written in
the early 90s and I think they're a little out of date. Do
you know why there is a nosing requirement? Also,
thanks for the opinion on the landing.

Dan:
I read about inspectors not liking anything over 7" even if
it was allowed by code. I will also make extra sure the
builder keeps the rise constant. I have tripped myself on
stairs that were uneven.

Mike:
I'll call the city inspector to find out what the local rules are.
They were definitely 12" treads. I'm not suprised that she
spec'd something non-standard...

Doug:
I will download it - thanks!

Jim:
Thanks for the tape measure idea. It's a good way to see
what feels good under your feet.

Netiquette question: In the future, should I reply to each
post individually or is it best to consolidate a reply in
a single post like I did here?

Thanks again!
Dan