Kevin Brady

This weekend I'll be practising with the capillary (end feed) joints. Thanks
for the help and encouragement.

On the same topic, part of the pipework will be buried beneath the floor
within a space I've left in the slab. The plumber suggests i simply lag the
pipe in grey foam before burying in sand/cement screed. For this purpose, I
don't want any joints down there. So do I

1. Use copper pipe, single length and bent at each end to come up the wall
either side of the room. Then copper fittings as already discussed.

OR

2. Use plastic pipe for this section, with plastic to copper adaptor each
end (accessible), then copper capillary from then on.

Many thanks for my ongoing benefit of your experience.

--
KEVIN BRADY, Oxford
_____________________
"The Wanderer" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 14:15:10 +0000 (UTC), Kevin Brady wrote:

Fine - I'll give it a go, I've always enjoyed playing with flames -
please
tell me I'll need a big welders mask for something this hardcore.

Sorry - seriously, end feed or capillary ?(is capillary easier/less
likely
to leak?)

Yup, I'd second what Dave said. For a DIYer, I'd go for Yorkshire
fittings,
and above all else, make sure you clean everything properly, and apply
flux. Yes, I know that's what he said as well.....

I always tend to feed a little plumbers' solder as well into the end of
the
Yorkshire fitting. You might also find it useful to look for a glass fibre
protective mat. Shouldn't cost more than a pound or two from your local
plumbers' merchant, saves scorching the joists or adjacent cupboard panels
if you've got a bit of residual water in a horizontal run, and you're
swearing and cursing coz the fitting won't solder properly. :-))

I'd been told years ago that any fool could make decent plumbing joints
using capilliary fittings; unfortunately my mentors never thought to
mention how important it is to clean the fittings, so first time I tried
it
(moving a header tank in the loft so I had a useful area to board out)
there was water everywhere when I turned the supply back on.

Experience gained is directly proportional to the damage sustained!

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net