The Wanderer

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 14:15:10 +0000 (UTC), Kevin Brady wrote:

Fine - I'll give it a go, I've always enjoyed playing with flames - please
tell me I'll need a big welders mask for something this hardcore.

Sorry - seriously, end feed or capillary ?(is capillary easier/less likely
to leak?)

Yup, I'd second what Dave said. For a DIYer, I'd go for Yorkshire fittings,
and above all else, make sure you clean everything properly, and apply
flux. Yes, I know that's what he said as well.....

I always tend to feed a little plumbers' solder as well into the end of the
Yorkshire fitting. You might also find it useful to look for a glass fibre
protective mat. Shouldn't cost more than a pound or two from your local
plumbers' merchant, saves scorching the joists or adjacent cupboard panels
if you've got a bit of residual water in a horizontal run, and you're
swearing and cursing coz the fitting won't solder properly. :-))

I'd been told years ago that any fool could make decent plumbing joints
using capilliary fittings; unfortunately my mentors never thought to
mention how important it is to clean the fittings, so first time I tried it
(moving a header tank in the loft so I had a useful area to board out)
there was water everywhere when I turned the supply back on.

Experience gained is directly proportional to the damage sustained!

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net