Tom Kohlman

Wife got me a new Zircon for xmas (even though the 12 year old one was still
working just fine). Whereas the old one only had the little light dots on
the front, the new one projects a light up the wall and makes noise at the
edges, has a display that "graphs" the density of the stud as you move
across it, has deep-scan for thicker drywall and also a setting that detects
AC wiring...that was the $39 model I guess...

We bought its little sister for $20 (same functions minus the graph) for my
76 year-old father-in-law who until then relied on the "knock" method and
never knew there was any other way...I laughed my ass off x-mas day as he
sought out every stud and wire in my first floor just like a little kid on
an Easter egg hunt...I'd stick with Zircon...

"Mike" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 01:11:37 GMT, Ba r r y
wrote:

My 10 year old Zircon bought the farm today.

I'd go with another Zircon if you liked the one you have. We've tried
several brands over the years and they all perform about the same. We
usually break them or lose them before we wear them out. We're
currently using a Zircon with the deep scan mode which seems to work a
little better on sheetrock thicker than 1/2".

Mike O.