Larry Jaques

On 14 Mar 2005 18:25:02 -0800, the inscrutable
" spake:

Advice please ,in LAYMENS terms ! I would like to paint a solid oak
table, which has a polyeurethene finish, in a WHITE SATIN FINISH. I

You have a LOT of work ahead of you. To get a paint to stick to it,
you'll have to strip the table down to bare wood. (even poly doesn't
stick that well to poly) Doing that with polyurinestain is a real
chore. Do it outside with old clothes, THICK nitrile gloves (it'll eat
latex), and a carbon filter/organic canister respirator on. Use an
aircraft-type stripper, one with methylene chloride in it. Make sure
to keep it off your skin, it burns intensely. DAMHIKT. If the table
has a veneer layer on top, you may lose it.

have been told that a lacquer paint gives a durable finish? This will
be a breakfast room table. I am happy to sand this down so it will be
ready to finish but not sure what the best paint to use? I do have a
Wagner 120 sprayer but have no idea which way to go from there. Latex,
Enamel or Lacquer? Do I need to cover it with something like Kilz
first, can I use that in a sprayer? Or do I just need some sort of a
sealer before doing the paint? HELP, all you experts out there!

Yes, use the proper sealer for the type of paint you buy. Ask your
local paint store manager what they'd use, or get quotes from
furniture refinishing shops in the area, asking what they'd use and
why. Lacquer and enamel are gloss paints by nature, so you'd have to
degloss them for a satin finish. After you've sprayed the table, take
a week away from it, at least. Let the stuff harden and cure. Do NOT
let your wife talk you into putting it back in service any sooner or
you'll both regret it, with you taking the blame. I've seen that
happen dozens of times. Look at the cure times for the paint you use
and add at least a week to that for a table. Don't touch it or set
anything on it for that time.

Or take it to a refinisher and let them deal with it all. It may be
the best bet for you. G'luck!

--
I speak 2 languages fluently: English and foul.