John Rumm wrote:
I think I have incorporated most of the comments from the previous
thread

Good stuff.

I'd add more on second hand tools. I've no experience of buying
ex-hire, but from using hired, I wouldnt touch them with a bargepole.
Maybe others have had better luck.

There is definitely a place for cheap old stuff though. I got an
ancient drill for =A33, didnt need it but thought it was worth =A33 for a
spare. Dont use it much, but when I do its repaid its value many times
over. Its for the occasional job where its really not rpactical to keep
changing bits, and there are more bits in use than modern tools. Did
one job where having this drill must have saved hours of extra work and
hassle. Did another where a chuck seized up, out came the history
piece, job completed, saving a days work.

People tend to dismiss cheap old stuff, but it has its place. If I were
travelling out on jobs I'd take some cheapo backup kit in the car/van.
tool failures and losses happen too often, why choose to be stuck when
you could have a complete set of ****e backup kit there for =A320. Use
it once and cost repaid.

And not much hope of anyone nicking it either: useful if you ever work
in real rough situations.

Also ideal for the penniless diy beginner I spose. Its surprising how
much you can do when broke, but thats another story.

Lots of great content there John, will be very useful.

Only one thing I can whine about: the waffle. It ads nothing, just
irritates, I'd take it out.

NT