Dave Morrison

nr wrote:
Thanks for the responses. The GFCI receptacle is in a bathroom. When
it is working, I've run a heater with no problems. The wires are run
through the attic. I spoke with my electric company yesterday and was
advised it might be a loose ground connection and that maybe it only
happened after a heavy rain. I don't remember the previous conditions
but Thursday we had heavy rains and the GFCI tripped and wouldn't
reset, but Friday afternoon, after things had dried out, it reset fine.
Now I have to find where the ground connection is.

The GFI is probably protecting some other outlets down stream, very
common. The rain problem makes me suspect that is protecting an outdoor
receptacle. Check your outdoor outlets, if you find one with no power
make it rain proof.
Dave