EricP

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 20:54:16 -0000, "andrewpreece"
babbled like a waterfall and said:

I've read conflicting stuff about this - some say the size of service
bonding depends on the earthing type in question. 16mm2 is out of the
question - the CU won't take 16mm2 nor will the brass earth terminal on the
service head: you're going to say now I should get the 'lectric company in
to replace my service head........ :-(

This is ****ing me off. It sounds like we have roughly the same system
that was legal when the house was built in 1979.

Having done some replumbing, I thought I would bring it up to some
decent safety level, thinking it would simply be extending the 6mm
earth and clamping it to the pipes. I now have to consider a
completely new run of 10mm (Something like a small pipe) from the CU
to the gas main and on to the plumbing. problem is the old one is in
the wall for a lot of its travel, behind the staircase and impossible
to get at. I will probably not bother, the danger risk is minute as no
electric stuff is anywhere near the pipes.

I am informed there are good reasons for it but to have to replace an
annoying, but tolerable copper cable with something that could serve
as a lightening conductor is not on for a small house.