Jeff

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I rent a house with an electic immersion heater that runs from Economy
7 at night and has a 1hr boost switch for daytime use. The water used
to get scolding hot, which, although arguably dangerous, was great as
it meant only a small quantity of hot water together with lots of cold
water was required for a bath. The element and thermostat has recently
been replaced (fitted at top of tank) and now, although the water is
very hot, there does not seem to be so much of it so by the time a bath
has filled the hot water has become luke warm and no cold water is
needed. This means 1 hot bath and that's it for the day. I suspect the
water does not heat up to such a high a temperature as before. The
thermostat (manufactured by BACKER)is on its max setting and is 18"
which is the same length as the previous one (PULLIN). I do not know
the length of the element but the tank is about 30" so I guess the
element would be 27". The element has a thermal cut-out device which I
do not remember the old one having. Perhaps this is limiting the
temperature. What are the implications of bypassing this device? Do
different makes of thermostats have higher temperature settings? Any
other suggestions/ideas?

Thanks

AIUI - the economy 7 immersion should be fitted at the bottom of the
cylinder (so it heats all the water).

Regards Jeff