Brian O

"chlim" wrote in message
Hi,

I stay in an area where TV reception is rather bad. Others staying on the
same street and location seem to be suffering from the same problem too.

I have adjusted my TV antenna a couple of times and even bought a new one.
But all that do not work.

I have seen an advertisement on TV on a kind of device where you plugged
into the wall AC outlet. There is a the coaxial RF outlet where the TV
antenna cable plugs into on the device. The idea is to use the whole house
internal wiring as TV antenna and at the same time filter and boost the
reception signals.

Can anybody tell me does this type of device works?

Thanks,
lim

There are basically three things that will affect your TV reception that are
in your control. Firstly the antenna "gain". That is basically relative to
how long your antenna is. The more elements it has the better. Secondly
the height of the antenna. If your getting bad reception, raising the
antenna can only help, unless its near power lines. Be careful! Thirdly is
cable loss. Twin lead has less loss but is very susceptible to other types
of interference (cb radios, amateur radios, electrical noise, etc.) If the
cable run is not very long (under 25 feet) RG6 will probably not be any
worse than twin lead as far as being able to tell the difference in picture
quality that is actually seeable. Make sure the antenna is pointed toward
the station you want to receive, SMALL END POINTS TO THE STATION, not the
big end. If you're pointing it with the larger elements toward the station,
then its pointing in the wrong direction. If you are still having problems,
an inline amplifier might be used. They make various types, even some that
mount right at the antenna with power cables that run down with the lead in
cable and plugs into the nearest available outlet. The closer to the
antenna the better. Less possibility of it amplifying the noise along with
the signal that way. If all this fails, you will probably benefit with a
satellite that offers local stations in its package.