jackK

Grant Erwin wrote:
wrote:

This is a dumb question, but what are the relative advantages of
4-Flute vs. 2-Flute end mills, and on what applications should one type
be chosen over the other?

Harry C.

2-flute for slots, 4 flute for when you want higher feed rates (keeping
the advance/tooth constant, the only way you can up your feed is by
adding teeth).

I don't buy the steel/aluminum answer, sorry.

GWE

That's ok Grant, alot of people will understand what i was talking about.
yes you can cut alum with a 4-flute and you can cut steel with a 2-flute.
alum. roughing I like 3-flute cutters and 2-flute for finishing.
(4-flute tend to wad up the alum to easily)
2-flutes on steel are not my favorite due to slower sfm which results in
slower feed rates. I'd use 4 or more flutes on steel.