charlie b

Default The Pointy Stick Compendium Project

Over the years, there have been many inquiries to The Wreck regarding
Pointy Sticks and a vast wealth of information about Pointy Sticks is
scattered all over hell. I’d like to create a compendium of that
information and put it all on an easily accesiible web site before it
gets lost for all times. If you, or anyone you know, would like to
contribute to this compendium or have answers to any of the following
questions - please either e-mail them to me or post them here with the
subject line “The Pointy Stick Compendium Project”.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide with this matter.

Sincerely

charlie b

Director
The
Pointy Stick Compendium Project

- Where can I find plans for a [ _______ ] Pointy Stick ?
point on the top
point on the bottom
point on the left end
point on the right end
right handed
left handed
-Whats the best way to make Pointy Sticks ?
(I only have $9,000 budgeted for tools)
- Anyone have plans for a jig to make Pointy Sticks that's:
cheap?
easy?
“high precision”?
- Where can I buy a jig to make Pointy Sticks
that’s cheap?
that’s easy to use?
that is mirco adjustable?
- What makes a good Pointy Stick good?
how long should the point be?
can The Golden Mean be applied to Pointy Stick design?
should I put a micro point on my Pointy Stick?
are Japanese laminated point Pointy Sticks worth the extra money?
- Who makes the best Pointy Stick and why?
- Should I try and find a Pointy Stick at a flea market and
restore it or should I just bite the bullet and order a
LIe NIelsen Pointy Stick?
- Has anyone seen or actually used the new Veritas Pointy Stick?
- What wood should I use for my Pointy Stick?
hard hardwood?
soft hardwood?
hard softwood?
soft softwood?
what about laminated Pointy Sticks?
- Is Grain Orientation important for Pointy Sticks and, if so,
how should the grain be oriented relative to the long axis
of the Pointy Stick?
- Is fire hardening the tip worth it?
- Is it really necessary to polish the tip of my Pointy Stick
or can I stop at 6000 grit?
- Should I put a finish on my Pointed Stick and, if so,
what is the best finish to use on my Pointy Stick?
- My Pointy Stick split. Any way to repair it or should I just
start all over?
- I picked up a Pointy Stick at a garage sale/ was given my
great great great grandfather’s / grandmother’s Pointy Stick/
dug up an old Pointy Stick while digging a new outhouse
hole / dug up an old Pointy Stick while searching for bottles
in an OLD outhouse hole:
where can I find a manual for it?
how do I get the dirt/paint/motor oil/blood/? off / out of it?
anyone know how to tell the age of a Pointy Stick?
is there anyway to find out who made it?
- Where do you get ideas for your Pointy Sticks
- Who, in your opinion, was, or is, the best Pointy Stick maker
- Opinions of Gary Knox Bennett’s Pointy Sticks
- Has James Krenov ever made a Pointy Stick

Please feel free to add to this list and/or answer any of the
above questions.

Here's a footnote from The Origins of the Pointy Stick section
of the compendium

*1 Whittting: a fundamentalist form of woodworking. Practioners are
known as Widdlers in South Eastern North America, Whittlers in most of
the rest of North America except parts of eastern Canada, Whytthlaeres
in England, Witliers in Frahnz and the eastern parts of Canada,
Dasdudeseinsliecendevoodmiteinkniphenteule in the former Austrian Empire
and “squiggly line, two dots, a slashing curved line with a hook on the
end and three dots over it” in Arabic

Whittlers predate The Era of Roy. Some Poiinty Stick historians believe
the Whittlers were themselves predated by the Stone Rubbers and a theory
is developing which involves “gnawing” and the use of prehistoric beaver
teeth as tools. Beavers are thought to be the inspiration for the
Pointy Stick Concept.