Fred Holder

Hello Scott,

Craft Supplies Ltd. in the UK sell a very simple threading jig that will fit any
lathe that you can get a tool post for. It was one that I tried out when writing
my book, Making Screw Threads in Wood. In our shop, we have a Klein Jig on a
Klein lathe, the threading jig sold in the UK, and the Noval Ornamental turner
which will cut threads. I also have a drawer full of chasers and much prefer
them to any of the threading jigs. I ran a test with a fellow several years ago
to see which of us could make a threaded box the fastest. He had a Klein jig on
a Carbatec lathe, and I had a thread chaser on a Carbatec lathe. I won the race.

I have thread chasers in 24 tpi, 20 tpi, 18 tpi, 16 tpi, 14 tpi, 12 tpi, 10 tpi,
8 tpi, and 3-1/2 tpi. You can't get that much variation with any threading jig.
The learning curve is a bit slower and you can't thread quite as soft of wood
with a chaser as you can with a rotating cutter.

These are just some additional thoughts for you to consider.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

In article , Scott says...

I have decided I need (ok, I want...) a threading jig for making threaded
boxes. I have looked at two alternatives:

The Bonnie Klein Jig - http://www.bonnieklein.com/tjig.htm
The Baxter Threadmaster - http://www.bestwoodtools.com/ (click the
"Baxter's Thread Master" link)

I have two lathes, a Jet mini (my original lathe, which I seldom use now)
and a Stubby s750. One thought is to buy a threading jig to fit the Jet
Mini, and just leave it setup and always ready to do threading. I could
turn on the Stubby, then walk over to the Jet for threading. Not sure how
much "setup time" this saves.

On the other hand, the Baxter model that fits the Stubby can handle 5"
diameter, whereas either the Baxter or Klein for the Jet will only handle 3"
diameter. Might be nice to have the additional size.

Baxter has a model that directly fits the Stubby, whereas I would have to
make my own riser block for the Klien to fit that lathe. Both Baxter and
Klein have models that directly fit the Jet.

Any opinions on these two jigs? What other aspects / features should I be
comparing? And how much convenience is added by having the jig setup on a
second lathe?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Scott