william_b_noble

a simple jig seems easy enough to make - I keep meaning to do it and get
distracted - the premise being that making it is "fun" and buying it is "not
fun" - with that caveat,
get threaded rod, either 1.25 or 1 X8 so you can attach your chuck to it -
get a couple of nuts to make a "head stock"
now as you turn the rod, it will move laterally in the nuts, making the
proper motion for cutting threads.

Now, get a 60 deg edge cutter and a cheap HF die cutting drill - mount in a
dovetail type slide so you can align it at the proper diameter, fire up the
drill and rotate the threaded rod to cut threads into the object being
threaded.

"Scott" wrote in message
I have decided I need (ok, I want...) a threading jig for making threaded
boxes. I have looked at two alternatives:

The Bonnie Klein Jig - http://www.bonnieklein.com/tjig.htm
The Baxter Threadmaster - http://www.bestwoodtools.com/ (click the
"Baxter's Thread Master" link)

I have two lathes, a Jet mini (my original lathe, which I seldom use now)
and a Stubby s750. One thought is to buy a threading jig to fit the Jet
Mini, and just leave it setup and always ready to do threading. I could
turn on the Stubby, then walk over to the Jet for threading. Not sure how
much "setup time" this saves.

On the other hand, the Baxter model that fits the Stubby can handle 5"
diameter, whereas either the Baxter or Klein for the Jet will only handle

3"
diameter. Might be nice to have the additional size.

Baxter has a model that directly fits the Stubby, whereas I would have to
make my own riser block for the Klien to fit that lathe. Both Baxter and
Klein have models that directly fit the Jet.

Any opinions on these two jigs? What other aspects / features should I be
comparing? And how much convenience is added by having the jig setup on a
second lathe?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Scott