mac davis

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:53:35 GMT, "res055a5" wrote:

a log cabin builder i know uses a spud (very large chisel about 4 feet long)
on pine.
i used to use a drawknife if the tree was green, but if the tree has been
cut any length
of time this method really sucks. turning "bark on" can produce some pretty
pieces,
but if you do then expect some out of balance turns and to sharpen tools
more often.
i wonder how sawmills do it? i think they have a machine that gnaws at the
bark ...kind of
grinds it like a coffee grinder.
rich

I've only toured one saw mill, but it seemed to me that most of the bark was
removed with high pressure water...
It was maybe 20+ years ago, so I could be "mis-remembering".. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing