LRod

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 06:41:44 GMT, "RadioHead"
wrote:

Hey folks -

I have finally found the plans for the perfect ham radio desk, but have a
few questions. Am modifying a workbench plan into a communications desk -
heavy duty - as I have some older ham radios that weigh in @ approx 80 lbs,
so I need good support and a very sturdy top.

I agree with others that you are engaging in wishful thinking if you
imagine an 80" span of 2xs will support your Johnson Ranger or DX-100.
You'll need some interim support and possibly embedded angle iron to
keep the sag to a minimum.

A couple of other things to consider: I made the mistake of buying an
old steel office desk once and using it in my shack for years. The
knee hole was too narrow to be comfortable for long hours of operating
such as during contests or trying to shag DX.

Another thing to consider is your keyboard and paddles (if you do much
CW). Comfortable keyboard height is approximately 3-4" below a typical
desk height. So, either design a well in the middle of your desk
(which complicates the design for weight bearing capabilities) or
build the whole thing lower than standard desk height. Don't forget
space for mouse or trackball.

Transmitters, amplifiers, TNCs, VHF rigs, tuners, coax switches, and
other accessories can and should be mounted 3-4" above desk level so
you can use the space underneath for paperwork (logs, notes), other
accessories, or whatever.

Generally speaking, the more you adjust or tune a piece of equipment,
the closer to the middle you want it. For example, TNCs can sit way to
the side, while tuners and coax switches should be toward the middle.
Amplifiers can be about half way. If your VHF radio is just a
convenient local QSO device, it can set off to the side, but if you do
VHF/UHF contesting, treat it more like your HF radio and have it favor
the center, offset to the non-CW side (see below).

However, you almost always will want your receiver on the main desk
surface; you will spend a great deal of time with one hand on the
tuning knob tuning the bands, and if the receiver is elevated at all,
you will soon come to detest its location. Also, your computer monitor
should be as low as you can make it so you don't get a stiff neck
trying to look at it from an awkward position.

Right handed or left handed? If you send CW with your right hand,
you'll want your receiver on the left so you can tune with your left
hand. Conversely, If you send CW with your left hand, you'll want the
receiver on the right.

To reduce desktop clutter, try and fashion a small panel with
headphone, mic, and PTT jacks at the front of the desk top to reduce
wire clutter on the top surface. Although not desk top related, you
may also want to make accommodation for a couple of foot switches on
the floor (PTT with one, spotting switch as in Kenwood's TF-SET
function with the other)

Be sure and either leave room between the back of the desk and the
wall or make the desk easily movable, as whatever cable configuration
you start with will not only not last long, but will be changed often
as you add equipment or accessories.

Have fun.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net