Edwin Pawlowski

"RadioHead" wrote in message
news:IcBRd.32558$wc.22061@trnddc07...
Hey folks -

I have finally found the plans for the perfect ham radio desk, but have a
few questions. Am modifying a workbench plan into a communications desk -
heavy duty - as I have some older ham radios that weigh in @ approx 80
lbs,
so I need good support and a very sturdy top. The top I have planned is
33"
wide and 80" long and will be three 2x11" planks. Thinking pine - any
suggestions?

Sheet of birch plywood is about $50. It will hold the weight easily. Make
a frame of 1 x 6 pine boards, make four legs of 2 x 4, make a frame on the
bottom, about 12" from the floor, put the plywood on top. Could be lower
and you put more plywood on the bottom for more storage space. Or drawers,
or whatever you like.

I've had over 500 pounds on my bench in it never moved or sagged.

Various ways you can do this to get the results you want. Trim the edge of
the plywood with a 1 1/2" strip of pine to make it look nice. Three coats of
polyurethane and you are in business.