Mike Marlow

"RadioHead" wrote in message
news:IcBRd.32558$wc.22061@trnddc07...
Hey folks -

I have finally found the plans for the perfect ham radio desk, but have a
few questions. Am modifying a workbench plan into a communications desk -
heavy duty - as I have some older ham radios that weigh in @ approx 80

lbs,
so I need good support and a very sturdy top. The top I have planned is

33"
wide and 80" long and will be three 2x11" planks. Thinking pine - any
suggestions? How much will these boards cost, any idea? Any suggestions on
another way to go and still remain heavy duty? No idea how much this

project
will cost to complete, but it will be completed. Any help from you
woodworking pros in the group would be much appreciated. This is our first
woodworking project together....wish us luck!

Hard to say. You can find the cost of a 2x12 in your area simply by calling
any lumber yard or Home Depot/Lowes in your area. No one here can hazard a
guess based on what you've given us.

Pine will work as good as anything else for what you're doing, but it will
need to be supported across that 80" span. Don't expect 2x12's to carry
80lbs over 80" without quite a sag. Others will comment, and I don't know
off the top of my head, but I'd guess you'd need a support in the middle to
carry that weight.

Personally, I'd use 3/4" plywood and put an edge band of some sort along the
edges of it. You'll still need to support it, but it will look better.
That's just a personal opinion though. If you like the heavy look of 2x12's
then go for it. You might consider routing the edge of the 2x12's for a
finished look if you don't want it to look like it's just a few 2x12's
sitting up there.

--

-Mike-