bmejerle

Terry,

You might take a look at the PLS2E (Pacific Laser Systems). I've been very
pleased with my PLS2. It projects both a horizontal and/or plum line and is
self leveling. It works best when inside or where there is some shade.
However, PLS has just come out with the PLS2E which can be used outside in
bright sunlight. I believe these units include a special receptor which is
sensitive to the laser. I don't know what your price point is, but most all
of the professional grade laser levels will run several hundred dollars.
You get what you pay for....

Bob

wrote in message
oups.com...
I searched the discussion groups for laser levels and found a few
references here so I will ask you for assistance.

Can anyone tell me if there exists a tool to project a straight line
about 10 feet outdoors?

I am looking for a laser level (or some other tool) to project a line
outdoors on the ground (actually a very well maintained, extremely
short cut grass lawn) on a sunny day. I would like to be able to see
the line for 8 to 10 feet (maximum of 20 feet). I am looking for a
laser level type of projection because I can not drive any stake into
the lawn and I can not leave a mark on the lawn when I am finished.
Also other people will be walking around the area and I do not want
them to trip over any physical line. I need to adjust/rotate the
projected straight line easily a few degrees to the left or the right
as needed.

I have tried the $40 to $50 laser levels found at Home Depot, Lowes, or
Menards (take your pick) and they work poorly outside (in sunlight no
line is visible). I expect there exists a solution but my price range
is limited.

Your suggestions (and price ranges) are most welcome.

TIA, Terry