Joseph Meehan

Fr@nk wrote:
"Lola" wrote in message
oups.com...
This is a tough one to diagnose without seeing the problem.
Before you spend any money, I would just pull out all the stops and
fiddle with it and hope for the best. If you can't use it, than the
situation can get much worse.
It terrible how one little plastic piece can make the whole machine
really go kaput.

Keep us posted on your progress.

OK, I figured out how to open the thing up, and saw nothing
broken/disconnected inside the main unit (not the door) where the door
latches. So I noticed the two latches on the door swing up/down
freely, with no spring action. So I conclude there should be spring
tension inside the door, to force the latches back down and clamp
onto the catches inside the main unit.

So I finally get the inside panel off the door, and yep, there's a
small spring just sitting in the chamber at the bottom of the chamber
where the latch rod is. Just as you said(!), one little broken
plastic piece gave way (the one that held one end of the spring in
place, attached to the body of the door), rendering the microwave
unusable. I tried epoxying the piece back, but there was too little
surface area to hold. So I pulled out my epoxy putty, created my own
little "plastic piece" (trying to match the shape of the broken off
piece as closely as possible), and stuck it in place. I'm waiting
right now for the putty to set up; it should be like steel in a few
minutes. If so, I should be able to reattach the spring. We'll see...

Good Luck

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math