Mike

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
John Borrman wrote:

Cheers for that, rather fabricate an earth than replace all the

boxes....

IF we're talking about flush metal mounting boxes that are sunk into the
wall (i.e. not accessible when the wiring accessory is in place),

AND the wiring system is twin-and earth and, explicitly, is NOT MICC or
metal conduit, where the earthing is provided by the metal sheath of the
cable or the conduit, via the mounting box,

AND the metal face plates each have an earth terminal,

THEN it's OK to connect all the incoming earth wires to the faceplate
terminal and there's no specific requirement for a separate earth wire
to the back box. The box (which is not an exposed-conductive-part in
these circumstances) will be earthed via the accessory mounting screws.

Andy - this sounds far too sensible for the IEE regs. Are you sure this is
correct as everybody else seems to think the wire is needed, including that
apprentices thing on TV a few weeks back.

That said, I've never put it in either as I think it has no useful purpose
and until Part P came along was allowed to argue so.