Fr@nk

"Lola" wrote in message
oups.com...
This is a tough one to diagnose without seeing the problem.
Before you spend any money, I would just pull out all the stops and
fiddle with it and hope for the best. If you can't use it, than the
situation can get much worse.
It terrible how one little plastic piece can make the whole machine
really go kaput.

Keep us posted on your progress.

OK, I figured out how to open the thing up, and saw nothing
broken/disconnected inside the main unit (not the door) where the door
latches. So I noticed the two latches on the door swing up/down freely, with
no spring action. So I conclude there should be spring tension inside the
door, to force the latches back down and clamp onto the catches inside the
main unit.

So I finally get the inside panel off the door, and yep, there's a small
spring just sitting in the chamber at the bottom of the chamber where the
latch rod is. Just as you said(!), one little broken plastic piece gave way
(the one that held one end of the spring in place, attached to the body of
the door), rendering the microwave unusable. I tried epoxying the piece
back, but there was too little surface area to hold. So I pulled out my
epoxy putty, created my own little "plastic piece" (trying to match the
shape of the broken off piece as closely as possible), and stuck it in
place. I'm waiting right now for the putty to set up; it should be like
steel in a few minutes. If so, I should be able to reattach the spring.
We'll see...