John Stumbles

Default tax accountant for self employed trades in Reading area?

"Ronald Raygun" wrote in message
Duke of Url wrote:

"Ronald Raygun" wrote in message
John Stumbles wrote:

Subject says it all :-) September looming and I'm looking for an
accountant with experience of self employed tradespeople (I'm a

plumber
and general jobber) who can advise me on doing my tax returns to best
advantage wrt tax etc. (I can and do DIY my accounts, it's the stuff

like
rolling over trading losses from a start-up year to successive years

that
I'm looking for help with.)

---8-- snipped lots of stuff I'm still trying to get my head around ;-)

In general, I guess it depends on whether you'd rather spend
a couple of evenings understanding the notes which accompany
the tax forms, or paying an accountant possibly more than his
advice will save you.

Maybe accountants should get into gimmick marketing along the
lines of no-win no-fee lawyers, so that punters cound hire them
with confidence that they won't cost them anything if they don't
save them anything.

Hear hear! :-)

This is all slightly complicated as I want to get a more flexible mortgage
(ideally a current account mortgage - any suggestions? I asked BOS but they
won't touch me until I've been trading 3 or 4 years) and I think I'll need
my accounts audited for this; so if I'm going to have to pay an accountant
to go through my accounts I'd guess getting advice on saving tax (and
possibly also getting them to do the tax return) should be less expensive
than if this were my sole business with them.

--
John Stumbles