Ecnerwal

In article ,
"Bernd" wrote:

So here's my question, what size chain should be used for the given hp
and application? Seems like motorcycles use quite a large chain to drive
the rear wheel, would that size be about right?

Motorcycle chains should be up to the power requirements. Motorcycles
with considerably more power use chain or belt drives. If you're not in
possesion of the sprockets, I'd suggest considering the motorcycle belt
drives as being less maintenence headache over time - they do need to be
well-aligned to begin with, but they stretch less (thus require
adjusting less) and attract a lot less dirt & grime to themselves. The
inexpensive and practical approach to that is probably to drop by a M/C
junkyard - new prices tend to be a bit shocking.

Another (inexpensive, junkyard) approach would be to slap in a second
automotive (or M/C) transmission, driven from the first one - gives the
ability to change your ratios easily if you guess wrong, since it's a
prototype.