lyn rivers

We've just done the same, and were advised by the stove suppliers that
the stove should either:
(a) be positioned 3 x the diameter of the flue pipe from the wall
behind
or
(b) the wall behind must be made from heatproof materials.

In our case we got the builder to use the heatproof plasterboard
mentioned in another reply. (Our stove is also freestanding.) Your
installers should know about this stuff, but it sounds like they've
made a bodge of so many aspects of the job that you must be able to
insist on them putting the whole lot right at no further cost...
Good luck :-)

Lyn